Blogger Adapt Template
Header image

autumn is a season, NOT weather, please!

Posted by peiying Tuesday, June 24, 2008

oh my god. i think i screwed up my IELTS speaking test today. oh no! oh no! i've already reminded myself NOT to have too much um, ah, eh. however, i replied to almost all of the answers with one or two of these words slipping out of my mouth.

the examiner is a VERY VERY nice person i would say. her name, joanne cheah.

apparently i was the first candidate to start off the day, and was allocated into room 3.

greeted the examiner as i made my entrance. she introduced herself an made an opening for the recording. i was then asked for my identification card. the test started off well with some brief introduction of myself.

she asked, "Are you a student?"
i replied, " I am a student and am currently applying for university." (thank god, i've prepared for this)

the first session continued with simple questions about my subject of study during a-levels and why i want to do a-levels. following up were questions about weather. oh.. this is the dreadful part. basically the questions were rather simple and straightforward, but i just couldn't utter the words off my mind and put them into proper sentences. i often repeated her question and it goes something like this...

ms. cheah : what do you think the weather in your living area has an effect on the environment?

me : um, what effect is has eh... well.. i would say ... the weather in my living place is very sunny and hot. it seldom rains and um.. the effect er... most of the plants er... WILT. (HAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAAH!!!!!)

she must have laughed her pants off listening to such childish answers. even i myself laughed after enunciating that. oh my... how idiotic! but ms cheah is very nice and she reacted to my 'fantabulous' answer with just a smile.

next, she asked : which weather do you like most?

me : um... the weather i liked most would be .... AUTUMN.

ANOTHER FANTASTIC ANSWER!!

i quickly corrected myself, i said, "sorry, autumn is not a weather, hahaha, sorry, um.. the weather i like most um... (i could not come out with the word for neither sunny nor rainy weather, i just couldn't !!! ) not too hot, not too cold.

OH NO!!! THE END!!! i must have scored 1/10 for vocabulary. frankly speaking, till now i still can't come out with the exact word to describe that type of weather. can someone please enlighten me? i know it's not cloudy. it's NOT!

the next one she asked me about meeting new people. i was questioned whether i would like to meet new people, i immediatle replied, no. HAHAH... i told her i was an introvert. seldom go out and meet new people. at that point i could see that this answer was not one she expected, and that she was stucked at that moment to continue questioning more. HAHAHHA... clever me! but still she asked when was the last time i met someone interesting. (this was when i made up my own stories)

task 2 required me to talk on a topic for 1-2minutes, and i am allowed to draft out some notes for 1 minute prior to speaking. topic given was >>>> a website you find useful to you

GREAT! i though that this was a simple one as i often surf the internet, immediately http://www.google.com/ popped out of mind.

basically the questions were:
1. what website was it
2. how do you find it useful to you
3, what are you using it for
4. how would you recommend this website to others? ( i said this was a very well-knowed website, need not more introduction, AHAHHA)

further questions were asked about what effect do you think the internet has on the society, how would it benefit the people using it, are there any negative effects caused by using the internet, who usually use the internet, why eldery seldom use internet, how would you recommend them to learn using the internet.

basically the questions were mostly "well-answered". cross my fingers! hopefully a band 7 would be the outcome, hmm... i doubt it.

pray pray pray, hopefully i'll aced through the rest of the exams. but i have no idea at all about writing test, what to do? what to do? (scratch head)

OH! yes, happy birthday mom! congratulations on your retirement!

0 comment: